Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Week of Science Challenge

For some reason, I've signed up to the "Week of Science", coordinated by Just Science. The aim is to make one post a day on one of the following topics, and to avoid subjects popular with 'anti-science' groups/individuals:

- Published, peer-reviewed research and their own research.
- Their expert opinion on actual scientific debates - think review articles.
- Descriptions of natural phenomena (e.g., why slugs dissolve when you put salt on them, or what causes sun flares; scientific knowledge that has reached the level of fact)

A sign-up page is here, and a current list of participants, here.

Looking at the list of participants so far, I feel a little in awe, as they are what I consider to be giants of science blogging. I hope I can keep up... I have to admit though that part of my reason for doing this is very selfish - I have a pile of unread papers and books sitting on my desk, and I intend on using the week as an additional incentive to get through some of them (and in so doing, post my notes).

UPDATE (20/01): I should have mentioned that The Week of Science runs from Monday, February 5 until Sunday, February 11.

No comments: