Wednesday, June 20, 2007

And now for something completely different...

Apologies, this post has nothing whatsoever to do with anything else on this blog, apart from my own interest...

I was reading a story today on the BBC news website on the plight of women in Afganistan - truly terrible of course. However, something else caught my eye, which, after some brief fact checking, turned out to be rather eye-opening.

Despite all of the problems that women face in Afganistan, there are 91 female members of parliament (out of 361). Bear in mind that is approximately 25.2%. Now consider the UK, with 646 MP's, of which 126 are women. That's 19.5%. Now, I'm not going to comment on politics, but given the vast increase of political correctness and sexual equality here in the UK (and I imagine elsewhere in the western world), plus the seemingly prevalent view of Afganistan politics being somehow 'backward', there seems to be something wrong with this picture. I think perhaps that the political institutions here could do worse than look to Afgani women... I wonder if there is a similar situation in the US?

1 comment:

Callous said...

You've been tagged!

http://phineasgage.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/lets-play-internet-memes/